Thursday, January 2, 2014

Live & Learn -- Tricking Your Dinner Guests

Welcome to another edition of
Live & Learn Thursday!
Life As Always

Join the party... follow your hosts and link up your post!

This week we are going with a Kitchen/Cooking theme!

Try to keep your shock to a minimum, because if you're a regular reader you know how much I loathe these things.

BUT, after some thought I realized that I might have a lesson worth sharing with all of you... especially those not so domestically inclined, like myself. Here is my advice on how to trick your dinner guests into thinking you're a chef, or at least moderately talented in the kitchen.

I got this idea from my mom and her delicious Christmas Eve dinner. This meal seems like it would take so much time and energy to make, but it's really about the simplest thing I've ever done.

Corned Beef & Cabbage


I bought the corned beef in the meat section of the grocery store. Sunday morning before the big game, I put it in my crock pot along with the supplied seasoning packets, filled it with water until the meat was covered, and turned it on high for eight hours. When we got home from the game, I removed the meat from the now seasoned broth, and added in a head of cabbage that I had chopped the night before. That blanched for about ten minutes, and in the meantime I whipped up a batch of boxed mashed potatoes (dude, they taste the same anyway, and Stew loves them). I topped it all off with some gravy from a jar and voilĂ ! 

Fancy Sunday dinner for the fam.
And for all they needed to know, I could have spent hours and hours on this lovely meal.

So if you're someone like me who loves entertaining, but dreads the thought of being stuck in the kitchen while your guests enjoy all the real fun of the party, then this easy peasy meal might be just the thing for you. It really is delicious...

Live & Learn.

post signature

8 comments :

  1. You KILL me! You should see the way *I* cook this dish!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Corned Beef was my favorite dinner when I was growing up! I loved it so much. Isn't it great when you find those easy to make and delicious meals!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha. What a great way to have a "fancy" dinner with almost no work. You rock!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love meals that taste great with minimal effort! I don't mind cooking, but really, what's better than throwing ingredients I the crock pot, leaving, and coming back to a meal?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. In my humble opinion the boxed mashed potatoes taste BETTER than the real ones (but don't let any of my hippy friends in Bellingham know I said that, mmkay?).

    ReplyDelete
  6. I made the most epic corned beef and cabbage dinner EVER last year on St. Patty's for the first time. I don't eat meat but Pete does and it was actually his first time ever having it. He got hooked!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i've never had either of these things:) haha

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me, Goose!