Friday, January 3, 2014

Dear Baby Boy... 22 Weeks

Dear Baby Boy,

Daddy felt you move for the first time this week! It was so exciting! He seemed a little surprised, like he was just realizing that I actually do have another tiny human inside my body. It is a strange concept, don't you think?

At 11 inches and almost one pound (about the size of a spaghetti squash), you are starting to look like a miniature newborn! Your lips, eyelids, and eyebrows are becoming more distinct, and you're even developing tiny tooth buds beneath your gums. Your eyes have formed, but your irises still lack pigment. I wonder if you will end up having heterochromia iridum (different colored eyes) like me...

I haven't noticed any stretch marks or skin discoloration yet, so thanks for that. But my fingernails have been growing like crazy and my hair is still super dry and brittle. Also my wedding ring is starting to get kind of tight. You win some, you lose some, I guess.

You received so many Christmas presents and you aren't even here yet! A "my first Seahawks tee," a Marshawn Lynch jersey, a little Seahawks fairy for your teeth when they start to fall out, a moby wrap and a boppy, and tons of adorable new born onsies that will be just perfect for when you come home from the hospital. You are spoiled already, my little man.

I finally went back to daily walking and prenatal yoga this week after a holiday hiatus, and it felt so great! I've got to get a body pillow ASAP though, because sleep is getting more and more uncomfortable by the day.

We had a bit of a scare this month when your ultrasound showed choroid plexus cysts in your head, which are a soft marker for elevated chromosomal risk. So we had another detailed 20 week ultrasound, as well as non-invasive fetal DNA testing, which showed that each and every one of your 21 chromosomes is in perfect working order. As if we expected any less... but it's nice to be on the safe side I suppose.

Also, I want to make sure I mention the fact that Daddy saved both of our lives this week. He woke up in the middle of the night after I had the girls over for dinner to discover that a stove burner had been left on, and it had been filling the house with natural gas for hours and hours! Thank gawd he realized and we woke up to air out the house before I managed to kill us all! So sorry about that...

2014 is going to be such an amazing year for our little family...

Happy New Year, my darling!


Love Always,
Mommy

9 comments :

  1. How do they do a non-invasive DNA test??? When I'm pregnant I have to get DNA testing for my kiddo for a genetic disease I carry and don't want to do a amniocentesis if I can help it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a beautiful baby bump you have :) One of our favorite things about being pregnant was when either my hubby or I felt the baby it was so amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad he is healthy in there! Love that Daddy got to feel him kick for the first time. :) I remember feeling when my sister's babies would kick... it truly is magical. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whoa, scary about the burner and I'm glad all the chromosomes are 100% a-ok. You look amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That burner story is another reminder that I'm glad we have an electric stove! I'm so glad Stew caught it!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just stumbled across your blog - You are so cute preggo! I feel like I looked like a whale when I was 22 weeks pregnant. I remember the moment my hubby felt our son kick for the first time - what an amazing moment for both daddy and mommy! How scary about the stove burner being on!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad he's doing well in there - and how scary about the burner being left on!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Holy crap Stewart is like a born firefighter!!! I'm glad you got a wrap and a boppy!! It's so crazy what they can do now days medically, I'm glad everything is good! How do they do the test? Just curious! If I ever have another baby I'm moving back to WA bc it's like a third world country down here, every single thing is so far behind!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You guys are going to be great parents! Glad to hear everything is safe and sound. These letters are just so sweet!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me, Goose!