Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Birth Center Tour

As my pregnancy progresses, it's likely that the focus of this blog will shift more and more toward all things baby. "Certain truths are self-evident," or however the saying goes. Anyway, this is one of those posts, and I apologize to those who prefer my ramblings about drunken tailgating, childhood ridiculousness, and sh*t Stewart says.
Regularly scheduled programming will commence shortly eventually...

 
But for now, I wanted to recap the tour we took last night of the Birth Center at Swedish/Issaquah.
 
 
If you didn’t know this was a hospital, you might think Swedish/Issaquah was an alpine resort. Out of the large windows you see views of forested hills and mountains. And inside are the very latest features in a birth center: oversized rooms with a Jacuzzi tub, birthing balls, squatting bars, iPod docks, and HDTVs. Oh, and there's a Starbucks and a maternity and baby shop in the lobby.
 
Image via
That photo is no exaggeration, folks. All of the birthing suites really do look just like that, picture window views included. And our tour guide was even sure to remind our husbands to bring their swim trunks for the Jacuzzi... Stew has big plans to sit in there and watch a movie whilst I labor away. Somehow I don't see that happening.

I knew from the first time I set foot in this place that I wanted to deliver our baby here. It felt welcome, safe and secure... the perfect location to celebrate Baby Boy's first birthday. This is where I go to my regular appointments and that experience has been great, but last night's tour really solidified my decision to go with Swedish/Issaquah for our birthing needs. Oh, and did I mention that they also have refrigerators stocked with free food, complimentary newborn photography sessions, and massage therapy available after you give birth?!

Nothin' but the best for my family!
 
post signature
 
The Hump Day Blog Hop

26 comments :

  1. That room is nicer than my bedroom, wow! I love that husbands bring their swim trunks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my -- that is amazing! That tub! I would have used that FOR SURE if that was an option in our run-of-the-mill hospital birthing center. What a great space to welcome baby boy to the world. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Um, this room makes ME want to have a baby!! ;)

    PS- Idk if you follow her blog, but Kristin is one of my favorite momma bloggers and I feel like you would love her! haha http://www.mamaandmou.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. perfection! tell stewie he can bring his swim trunks and get in and help you go through contractions in the baby juice water...i'm sure he would LOVE that :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an amazing place to have your little man!!! Maybe I'll move up there when I get pregnant so I can have my kiddos there. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Um, wow! I was happy with my corner hospital room. It was huge but not this nice!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OOO nice tub. :) My birthing room had no tub but at least I had a great view.

    ReplyDelete
  8. WHAT?! WHAT?! that's so awesome. my room was NOTHING like that!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness, the rooms we are delivering in do NOT look like that. Although ours are free with our healthcare. I can't imagine the price of this one!!
    I think you will comfortable to say the least!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My coworker just had her baby there about a month ago! She couldn't stop singing praises for their birthing center and her doctor. All her monthly/weekly visits were there as well (since it's close to our work in Issaquah), and I heard nothing but positive things about Swedish. Her husband didn't join her in the tub either, but he did take some time to un-freak out by watching the game on their nice TV ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome, that is great news that someone had a good experience there! I mean, from the looks of it I wouldn't expect anything less, but it's still reassuring to hear. :-)

      Delete
    2. Hi Carly, Great to hear good things about this hospital as we're looking to transfer there as it's closer. Can I ask if you know your coworker's doctor's name? Thanks in advance!

      Delete
  11. Well hot damn. Now I kinda want to get knocked up and have a baby. ;P

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow. That is incredible. If I were having a baby, I would totally want to give birth there! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. is that real life?? I wanna stay there and I don't have any babes on the way! excellent choice

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm coming to stay with you while you're there ;) I'll bring my bikini! lol!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I kinda want another kid just to deliver there ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Holy crap!! My mouth literally dropped open!! That is AMAZING!! Ok, kinda personal, but do you mind me asking how much something like that costs? Maybe in Vancouver there are places like that, but I think up here it's pretty much a regular hospital, and our provincial insurance covers the whole cost. But, something like where you are going would be fantastic!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Evidently, before I have children, I am going to have to move to where you are! I've never in my life seen a labor and delivery room like that. You had me at Starbucks!

    -Kari @ www.karilife.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Sarah! I was wondering how your birth experience went there as I'm assuming baby has been born :) I'm looking to transfer from Evergreen as we are closer to Issaquah but couldn't find much online about them. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda! You can read all about Ryder's Birth Story on my blog, but in a nutshell it was a traumatic, but good, experience. The trauma part comes from the fact that after 20 hours of labor I failed to progress and had to have a C-section, but it all turned out well in the end and I was extremely happy with my doctor and everyone else I encountered at Swedish. I would go back there again in a heartbeat and definitely plan to with my next pregnancy.

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Sarah! I actually found it after I sent the message and so glad that everything turned out well in the end, phew!! Can I ask what doctor you used? I was looking between Howard and Scheve but any input would be awesome :) Thanks again!!

      Delete
    3. I saw Kathryn Tonder throughout my pregnancy. She delivered Ryder and is still my primary care physician, as well as Ryder's pediatrician. She's absolutely fantastic!

      Delete

Talk to me, Goose!