Monday, October 3, 2011

Nepali Cooking Lesson

At my company's United Way Auction last year one of my co-workers, Nima, auctioned off a traditional Nepali dinner (she moved here from Nepal a few years ago). My office manager thought it would be a fun team building experience to have the whole administrative team spend an afternoon with Nima so we could all learn how to cook (and eat!) Nepalese food. We finally got together this past weekend and it was such a blast!

Nima trying to teach me to make Momo... mine were a mess!
 
Momo is a type of dumpling native to the Nepali part of the Himalayas.

Even though mine weren't beautiful, they were DELICIOUS!

Masala Chicken and Masoor Daal (lentils) - two staple Nepali foods.

Trying not to burn anything...

Mustard Greens sauteed with onions and spices.

Masala Chicken.

Masoor Daal (lentils).

My plate right before I dug in... YUM.

Our finished product - I think we did quite well!

Our team about to enjoy the fruits of our labor.
It's one thing to sample different types of foods in a restaurant, but this was a whole different experience! It was amazing to watch how quickly and effortlessly Nima made Momo... I think I finished only one to each of her ten. And she doesn't measure anything, just throws in ingredients and spices like it's second nature, which is something I've always really struggled with in cooking. I really enjoyed helping make the different recipes, and I learned a lot about Nepali culture, so it made for a really awesome Saturday afternoon!

2 comments :

  1. YUM. We go to Anapurna on Capitol Hill pretty regularly for Nepali and Indian food. We've made a few recipes at home but it definitely takes practice!

    Looks like fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Stevie - Yes, I never would have been able to make it on my own but it sure was delicious! I'll have to try Anapurna... Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me, Goose!