Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Don't waste your time on jealousy.

Day 8, Wednesday: A piece of advice you have for others.

Don't waste your time on jealousy. Sometimes you're ahead, sometimes you're behind. The race is long. And in the end, it's only with yourself.

I stole this from Baz Luhrmann in Everybody's Free To Wear Sunscreen, which was very popular when I was in high school. It's full of amazing tidbits about life (and he's right, you really should wear sunscreen).

But I find this particular piece of advice so important because it's something I struggle with personally. I constantly compare myself to others and find things lacking. But each one of us has our own strengths and weaknesses, and it's really futile to compare ourselves to one another. Instead of wasting your energy on being jealous of someone else, spend that time on self-reflection. What is it you want to change about yourself, and why? Set goals and work on accomplishing them... turn your energies inward and work toward becoming the best version of yourself.  

Jealousy is a black, evil emotion, and it's something that's so easy to get caught up in. Don't let it suck you down!  

12 comments :

  1. Great advice! I struggle with this as well...especially having a blog or looking at other social media.. But that Baz Luhrman quote sums up it all up perfectly. I think I'm going to write that one down!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post, you have really said it all. I am going to keep in mind 'be the best version of yourself.'

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the Bas Lurhman essay(?). I need to look that up and print it to have on my desk!! Thanks for reminding me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katrynka, I know, isn't it great?! I should print it out as well, but I also love listening to the song. I remember when I was in high school it was always on the radio and I loved it so much!

      Delete
  4. You are the second blog I've read today that has referred to that song!
    Great piece of advice, I struggle with comparing myself to others, it's something I'm trying to be mindful and stopping myself when I find myself doing it. I read a quote recently which said "don't compare your behind the scenes with someone else's highlight reel" I love it and it has helped me to be more mindful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such wonderful advice! I struggle with jealousy a lot. Comparing myself to others, and wanting what they have. I feel like it's one of those things we're all SO guilty of, but you're right.. we should spend that time reflecting on OURSELVES and working to be the people we want to be.

    ReplyDelete
  6. jealousy doesn't hurt anyone but yourself, it will kill your spirit, it will give you tunnel vision and it will rob you of recognizing all the wonderful things you have in your own life. thanks for posting this sarah!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so so true and such good advice to remember. It's hard in the blog world and real life to get wrapped up and jealous- its important to keep this in mind!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have such a hard time with this! I compare myself to others a lot, especially when it comes to financial things. This is great advice I needed to hear right now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Absolutely! I'm so glad you brought this up! I think so many of us (myself included) struggle with this but we are SO afraid to talk about it! Jealousy truly is just wasted energy and usually is relating to something that won't make much difference in the long run!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so so so so true! I love Baz (although I think we can all agree that Australia was a mistake.)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great advice! It's sometimes hard not to get caught up comparing but I'm so much happier when I just focus on myself and my family instead of others. xo

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me, Goose!