Friday, August 9, 2013

The truth about me and technology

All right kiddos, it's time for a little honesty.

Sometimes there are things in life that I'm embarrassed to admit... like the fact that I haven't read (and frankly don't have any interest in) the Harry Potter series. Or that sometimes when my husband is at work I make a box of macaroni and cheese and eat the whole thing for dinner. Or how I frequently use dry shampoo in lieu of actually washing my hair because I'm so desperate for those 20 extra minutes of sleep. And yeah, the fact that I was in (almost) the front row for the Up In Smoke Tour back in 2000, featuring Dr. Dre, Snoop Dogg and Eminem. Yep, it was amazing.

But today my confession is this:

I am an absolute idiot when it comes to technology.



I barely know how to turn on the fancy TV in our media room (five remotes? come on!) and last night I watched the Kardashians (another mortifying confession) with closed captioning because I couldn't figure out how to turn it off.
 
I really don't quite understand Twitter, which is probably why I have few followers. I just recently learned the difference between tweeting to versus about someone. And hashtags... am I using them properly? Exactly what is their purpose? I should probably research attending a Twitter Basics seminar.
 
It took me years to upgrade to a smart phone, and I still sometimes miss my little flip phone with the built-in keyboard. My iPhone has tons of apps, but I don't really utilize any of them. And I only recently joined the world on Instagram.
 
I rarely use my iPad. It even connects to our TV and all kinds of fancy stuff. But my two-year-old niece seems to understand how the darn thing works better than I do. I only bust it out occasionally for Words With Friends or Draw Something.
 
I hear you can watch all kinds of television through things like Hulu, Netflix, Roku, and Apple TV, but I don't know how to do any of that. And I just had to Google most of them to see if I even had the names correct.
 
I still don't have a Kindle, although I borrowed one from my aunt for a while. I love paper books.
 
I have no idea what I'm doing with this blog... I would love to update the design and make it more attractive and functional, but I have no idea where to start. I should probably just hire someone.
 
Our computer is about seven years old with massively outdated technology and it crashes constantly. We really need to look into a replacement.
 
This is really just scratching the surface. I could go on and on, but you're probably getting the general idea. I feel like a bit of a traitor to my generation, but I'm just not sure if I'm on board with this fast-paced world of technology. But sometimes I feel like if I don't generate at least some level of interest in order to increase my abilities and knowledge, I'm going to get left totally behind.

So there you have it, a true confession by Sarah Alway.
Judge not, lest ye be judged.

20 comments :

  1. Haha I'm really not great at it either. Blog design I could never do... I'm awful at computers. I'm basically just good with my iPhone

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so wish I knew how to do more creative stuff on a computer - like blog designing too! Nick has given me a few lessons in coding - but nothing really stuck! haha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't feel bad-- I REFUSE to read any of the Harry Potter series, watch the movies too. I'm the same way with the vampire stuff.. Bella is one of their names? haha And most of the stuff I know about electronics, I've either taught myself or refused to learn, playing dumb so that other people will do it because I really am smart-- I'm just lazy (don't tell pls). I HAVE to know things about my iphone because it's my baby-- Netflix is pretty cool so I have taught myself about it.. like my new laptop will plug into the tv and I can watch Netflix through it. One thing I will NEVER know about though.. is blog design. That's why I am going to have Erin from Fun, Love, and Football design mine-- she has the CHEAPEST rates anywhere and the cutest portfolio.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh man, I wish I knew what I was doing when it came to blog design too. Besides the fact that I'm terrible about blogging... Maybe we could hit up a seminar together some time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't believe it. You and I were at the same concert--Up in Smoke Tour baby! Tacoma Dome? Although I didn't have front row seats. :) Seriously one of my most favorite concerts. And I have much to learn when it comes to technology as well...I think it's impossible to keep up with it all!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, those boxes of macaroni are often small. No shame in eating one all by yourself. Sometimes we'll cook up two of them together.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh man, I am right there with you! I had to have my mother in law put photos on a disc this week because I had no idea how to do it from her computer. Thank god for techy husbands or I am afraid I would not get by day to day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am right there with you! To my shame I have only just realised how to take a screen shot on my iphone! I can't believe I'm admitting it!!

    Have a lovely weekend :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ditto on the mac and cheese. But if you eat just spoonfuls throughout the evening you digest it faster (riggghhhhht!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Haha I feel ya. Just when I think that I have learned a lot about technology, I mess something up or something new comes out and I have to start all over!

    ReplyDelete
  11. coooomplete ditto on the loving paperbooks. never could get into those Kindle thingys ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they are great for traveling, but ultimately nothing beats a "real" book. :-) Plus the few times I've read a book on Kindle I just ended up buying a copy for my shelves, anyway.

      Delete
  12. I've never read nor do I care to ever read Harry potter.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love a bit of technology and am usually fairly good with it all but I will never substitute a good old paper book for a Kindle. Don't get me wrong, if someone bought me one I would love it and use it, but nothing is better than having a book to thumb through, underline great quotes, write in the margins or fold over pages of interest. Love books!

    Molly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm the same way with a Kindle! Of course I would use it if someone gave me one, and I do think they're great for traveling, but ultimately nothing can substitute a real book. :-)

      Delete
  14. I love to mix in a can of chili with my box of mac'n cheese - my friends call it chili-mac. Apparently a ton of people already knew about this, but it was new to me about three years ago! If it weren’t for Joel, I would be in the same boat with you… sometimes I really hate technology. It just complicates things! I often ask Joel, "I just want it to do what I want, why doesn't it know what I want??"

    Jess @ The Odell Yodel

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm the same! No twitter account, just got an I phone n no kindle, although I did download kindle for pc and just got a new computer last year, finally. That concert must have been amazing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh and I watch kardashians and I only read the first three Harry potter books!!!! Ahhh!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is sooo me! I am not a fan of technology at all! I seriously wish I could just go live up in the hills, this world is getting a little too fast paced for me. Oh and as far as blog templates and all that I have not a clue. I don't think I even know how to change the one I have and I somehow put it on there. haha

    ReplyDelete
  18. I don't love technology that I can do most of the basics. It took me awhile to understand hashtags on twitter. It also took me awhile to get a smartphone (but now I love it!)

    Though I do love Harry Potter....

    Thanks for linking up with us at Flashback Friday!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me, Goose!