Monday, November 30, 2015

Onward and Upward

I start a brand new job tomorrow.

I don't talk much about work around these parts, but this is such a significant life event that it would feel weird not to mention it.


I have been working for a real estate development company in a downtown Seattle high rise for the past seven and a half years. It has been an amazing experience, during which I've learned and grown so much, and met some incredible people who have become life long friends.

Sadly, since returning to work after my maternity leave, the mommy guilt has really started to set in. I tried to ignore it, and for a while reducing my hours and working from home one morning a week was enough to make the situation manageable. But, during the past six months, my commute has become a complete time suck. When we first moved to Snoqualmie, it only took me about 40 minutes to get into the city each day. Now, it takes over an hour, sometimes almost two. That's two and a half hours a day that are wasted -- time that I could be spending with my family. 

Enough was enough.

I have been fortunate to find a new position, also in the real estate development industry, with a company located just a mile down the road from our house. Obviously this was an opportunity that I couldn't afford to turn down. 

My little boy is getting bigger every day, and I just can't stand to waste any time that causes me to miss even a minute of his amazing life. 

Life's too short. 

So today I said goodbye to my home away from home. 

So many life changes have happened to me here... We bought a condo, got engaged, got married, bought a house, had a baby. Really, I've become a different person than when I started.

And it's time to move on.

Although I'm very excited about my new position, I will miss everyone at my old company so much. It was an honor and a privilege to work with them, and I hope that we are able to keep in touch.

Until then...


post signature

9 comments :

  1. Congrats on the new job!! You have to follow your heart and how perfect is the new location!!! I hope you enjoy it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, congrats on the new job. It's such a hard thing to leave behind things you love though. I'm in a similar boat, minus the baby. I hope you love your new job all the more:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on the new job girl!! I'm sure it's weird/tough leaving but it will be SO worth it to be so close to home. Jared and I really hope our next home will be much closer to one of our jobs. I totally understand the timesuck of commuting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on this new opportunity! I get annoyed with my 30/35 minute commute, so I can't imagine having to take more time than that! I completely understand how that got to be overwhelming to you. Best of luck as you begin your new job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw good for you! Excited for this new venture.

    <3 Have Ashley, Will Travel

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats!! This is so exciting for you and I hope your first few days have been great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on your new position! Changes like this are always exciting.

    7% Solution

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aw this is sad but so exciting! Being that close to home will be amazing! I'm proud of you Sarah!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How exciting!! New adventures are always a little scary and seeing one adventure end is sad, but I'm sure you'll enjoy it once everything gets settled.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me, Goose!