Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Deconstructed Chicken Fajitas

When we're on a health kick (which is quite often), on Sunday evenings we usually pop between five and eight frozen boneless skinless chicken breasts in the crock pot with a healthy sauce... Our favorites lately have been Trader Joe's curry simmer sauce or Stubb's chicken marinade. After the chicken is fully cooked I remove it from the crock pot and cut it into bite sized pieces that I put in tupperwear over pre-cooked brown rice. These containers then become Stewart's lunches (and often dinners) for the week and I'll also eat them occasionally when I get sick of green salads.

But lately I've gotten really sick of this process and I think Stew has been a little bored with the meals, so this past Sunday I decided to try something different. In the crock pot I combined five frozen boneless skinless chicken breasts with two packages of McCormick's dry fajita seasoning mix and a half cup of water. After about 3.5 hours on high the chicken was fully cooked with a nice sauce in the bottom. In the meantime I sliced up a four bell peppers and an onion which I cooked separately on the stove. Then in tupperware I started with brown rice in the bottom topped with the chicken which I took out and cut up first, followed by some peppers and onions and finally I topped it with some of the leftover sauce. VoilĂ ! Stew's lunches for the week... done.

For myself I made up some smaller containers without the rice and I had one for dinner on Tuesday night. For fresh toppings I added avocado, tomato, cilantro and a little bit of low fat Ranch dressing. It was delicious! So nice and easy to just pull out of the fridge and heat up, and such a nice change from what we've been eating lately.

Deconstructed Chicken Fajitas by Sarah
I'll definitely be making this recipe again and I think next time I may even try cooking the veggies in the crock pot itself. I was nervous this time that they would get too mushy, but I found a couple recipes online that say to do it this way. Overall I'd say this was a successful adventure in healthy cooking for me!

1 comment :

  1. I definitely tend to cook the same thing over and over, too. This sounds delicious! I might just have to try it out sometime soon. I love using the crockpot because it makes the apartment smell so good.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me, Goose!