Friday, November 21, 2014

Shipmate... The Watch Stands Relieved

Today we will say goodbye to my Uncle Doug.

He was my mom's baby brother, and he has been a part of my life since my earliest memories.

Doug was the 15th of 15 children. He loved playing the trumpet, and cooking at various barbecues he and my Aunt Debbie would host. His ribs were the best, and we encouraged him to “keep practicing” so that we could eat them often. He looked forward to the Fourth of July, when family and friends would come to celebrate. His home was always open to visitors. He loved his time with family, especially hunting trips to Eastern Washington with campfires where they would share stories.

Doug loved weather and studied it from childhood. He always looked forward to storms, snow, and wind. Everyone called Doug so they could plan if school might be closed or an event could be planned outside. He was known as Weather Dougie.
 
Doug worked for more than 20 years at South Puget Sound’s Community College Security Department, rising to Security Lieutenant and Emergency Management Coordinator. He joined the United States Coast Guard in 1998 where he served proudly for 15 years. After 9/11, Doug participated in Operation Noble Eagle in Puget Sound, providing protection to US Navy facilities and ships. He deployed to Kuwait and Iraq in 2003 for Operation Iraqi Freedom, and again in 2011 for Operation Enduring Freedom and Operation New Dawn.

Doug and his brothers were lovingly committed to looking after my grandma's well-being, especially after the death of his brother, my godfather, Uncle Steve.

My Uncle Doug and Aunt Debbie were approaching their 22nd wedding anniversary later this month.

Sometimes there are no good answers. Only questions, and a gaping hole in our lives that cannot be filled.

My heart aches for this family... my family.

 Douglas E. Swift
July 13, 1967 - November 12, 2014

May he rest in peace.

"Shipmate... the watch stands relieved
Relieved by those You have trained, Guided, and Lead

Shipmate you stand relieved... we have the watch..."

 
Memorial donations may be made to the Wounded Warrior Project.
post signature

11 comments :

  1. So sorry to hear of this! Love to you and your mom and family

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful tribute. So sorry for your loss...keeping your family in my prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. so incredibly sorry for your loss Sarah. Uncle Doug sounds like he was an amazing man and inspiration to many. His legacy will certainly live on!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry for your loss, Sarah. May you and your family focus on all the good memories you have to get you through this hard time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow 15 kids!! That's my dream. I'm so sorry for your loss. It's never fun losing someone we love.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so very sorry for your loss. What a wonderful man.. my heart breaks for all of you. Sending prayers. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  7. so sad to hear of your loss. i know you will cherish those memories even tighter now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sorry for your loss. What a wonderful man he sounds like!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So sorry for your loss. Sounds like such an incredible person!

    xx 365hangers

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so sorry for your loss, Sarah. It is so hard to loose family.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me, Goose!