Monday, July 1, 2013

Advocare Cleanse Results

Can I interest you in a muffin? Oh I'm sorry, we only have mini muffins... because that's about all I have left of my muffin top since completing the Advocare Cleanse with Raven!
 
Maybe you don't entirely agree with my reasons for doing this cleanse, but regardless, after seeing my results you'll have to at least admit that if done properly, it works.

I am a scaredy cat and didn't take any "before" photos of myself, which I know is kind of a cop out. But I did have Stewart take all my measurements the night before the cleanse, and here are my final numbers after ten days of strict cleansing:


So seven pounds and 3.25 inches lost, total. In ten days.
I'd call that a success!


And here are my thoughts... Did I lose weight because I bought and took supplements from a highly profitable, extensively marketed nutrition company? It's possible. Or did I lose weight because I ate only fruits, vegetables, lean proteins, low glycemic index carbs, and healthy fats combined with a gallon of water per day? Far more likely.

The main things for me (actions that have always resulted in weight loss in the past) were the elimination of processed foods and carbohydrates, along with not eating anything after about six each evening. I also didn't cheat. Not even once. Except for accidentally eating grapes, pineapple and carrots on the first day, which I hardly think counts.

It was a pretty strict program, and it involved a lot of planning, but by the end of the ten days I was really used to the pattern and routine of it: Eating five small meals per day, taking fiber and vitamins, drinking lots of water, and only eating foods off the approved list. I also learned how to use my food scale and now I know exactly what three ounces of lean protein looks like, so I've gotten way better about my portions. Conclusion?

This isn't so bad... maybe I should keep doing it.

Of course with a few exceptions... adult beverages and ranch dressing will definitely be making a reappearance!
I wonder how vodka would taste mixed with Spark? Hmmm...

I've been off the official cleanse now for 12 days, and I'll admit I've fallen off the wagon a couple times (the baby shower, the birthday party, a to-die-for Italian dinner). And these little cheats do add up... I've gained back a pound so far. Damn.

But on the bright side, my physical therapist said that in another week I can start interval jogging again, so hopefully soon my cardio endurance will be back up to where it once was. Then I just need to add in some strength training (I've been slackin') and I should be back on track!

Would I recommend the Advocare 10-day Cleanse?

If you're going to follow the program religiously without cheating... Absolutely. It's a great kick in the ass, learning experience, and a fantastic system detox (I still haven't wanted or needed coffee). But if you honestly can't lay of the alcohol, sugar, and processed garbage for a week-and-a-half, don't waste your money. This isn't a miracle pill. You have to work really hard and you're going to suffer, but if you can push through, I promise it will be worth it!

Please feel free to share your own experiences in the comments!

18 comments :

  1. Great job! I feel like I was on some weird cleanse after my wisdom teeth n didn't drink my regular morning coffee w sugar or soda for two weeks n felt great!!! But I'm back to coffee n soda now, I guess coffee wouldn't be so bad if I just drank it black, or maybe I can switch to green tea... But I felt great bc I drank soooooo much water! I'm sticking to that & to my yoga, I need to start jogging though, good idea! Wish we lived closer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I think you should be our lab rat n try to do the cleanse again wo the advocare stuff, I bet it would still work great wo it and maybe just regular vitamins!?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are some great results! Can you share a link of where we can get more info on it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on your results! I did the challenge too and my results weren't as drastic but I also didn't follow the meal plan as strictly as most. I'm still pleased though and it was a great kick in the ass to get back on track after weeks of parties! http://thesearchfamily.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations! I'm posting my results on Wednesday (though they aren't as great as yours)! I should have measured because even though I only lost a few pounds, it was a very noticeable difference in my biceps and my waist and thighs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on your progress! I haven't tried it yet, but I might consider it. Thanks for sharing!

    Hannah from I am a lifestyle blog

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow! i don't think I'd have the self discipline! congrats though--you look great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice work! I'm still looking for motivation and since my daughter is seven months old I really can't use the "I just had a baby line" anymore :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katie! This is definitely a good starting place if you're interested. :-)

      Delete
  9. so glad to hear how it worked! wow! i'd def try it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love ranch too. So I started making my own. Plain greek yogurt and Uncle Dan's. It is so good, high in protein and I think I like it better than the real stuff. I usually add maybe 1/4 cup mayo too, but mostly just the yogurt. It has a good tang to it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so proud of the work you put into this and it 100% shows in the results. You look fab! I'm so glad that I was able to introduce you to the program and I promise that if you keep it up, you will not only look exactly how you want to in your mind (even tho you look amazing and most people would die for your body) but your energy, mood, and over all well being will sky rocket. Next stage will be getting you on all the muscle building/toning routines and supplements. Those are my fav!

    Keep up the good work sister!!!

    Oh and p.s. Vodka does go really well with Spark. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU! And those were a couple of the main things I noticed, actually... my energy levels were great and I felt really mentally alert, even without coffee and Diet Coke (usually daily staples!) And guess what... I haven't had either once since starting the cleanse and I still feel great! As soon as my knee is better I definitely want to try the 24 day challenge. :-)

      PS I see an icy vodka/spark cocktail in my future very soon...

      Delete
  12. wow great results sarah! good for you for sticking to the program. are you going to continue?

    ReplyDelete
  13. The results are great! The the most important thing it sounds like is that you feel good and are happy with what you've accomplished! Woo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jessica! And yes, absolutely the most important thing is that I feel great. It's amazing that it's possible to have so much energy without coffee! :-)

      Delete
  14. You did a great job! And the no cheating thing. Impressive. I'd do it again too just to get my mind right although like you I'm not convinced that it was actually the product that has any real effect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BTW- I went back and checked out "the list" you used and I might try that without the cleanse stuff. I couldn't really find any diet recommendations so I just did my own thing but I'd like to give that one a try.

      Delete

Talk to me, Goose!