Saturday, February 2, 2013

13 Coins

Our friends Tony and Nikki were staying at a hotel in downtown Seattle on Friday night, so we met them for dinner at 13 Coins. Stew has been wanting to go here for quite a while, ever since his brother Matt told him about the restaurant's amazing Spaghetti Carbonara, which Stew searches for on menus around the world.

He became obsessed with this dish while living in England and it's still one of his very favorite dishes. There can be some variation, but basically it's crispy bacon, sauteed onions and garlic tossed with cooked spaghetti, beaten eggs and a generous mixture of Parmesan cheese. A bacon and eggs spaghetti dish! It really is delicious. I've tried to re-create it for him at home several times and I did get very close to his English restaurant favorite once. So obviously Stew was excited to try a new Spaghetti Carbonara dish here in Seattle.

13 Coins is very randomly located off Denny Way, tucked in next to the Seattle Times building. I think my former job there is the only reason I know about it, but Tony and Nikki have actually been going there for years. I think it's one of the only places left in Seattle for decent 24-hour dining. We arrived around 7:30 and were seated right away in a giant leather high-backed booth.

Our server arrived right away to take our drink orders and deliver a yummy appetizer dish filled with salami and veggies, as well as a fresh bread and butter basket. I tried not to eat too much bread because I wanted to save myself for my meal... the portions I glimpsed at other tables we passed looked absolutely giant!


Crispy Calamari with lemon garlic aioli - $11.99

Spaghettini Carbonara with Italian Cascioppo sausage, Canadian bacon,
and onions in a creamy fennel sauce, with Parmesan cheese - $19.99

10 oz cut of slow roasted Prime Rib, served with mashed potatoes
and broccoli with au jus - $29.99

Yes, I admit it, I totally fell off the wagon! But I hadn't had red meat in so, so long, and I decided this was one of those "special occasions" I was willing to make an exception for and ordered one of the 13 Coins daily specials. It was amazing and I don't regret one mouthful.

I honestly didn't eat more than a quarter of my meal... it was absolutely giant and most of it is sitting in a doggie bag in the refrigerator, next to Stew's leftovers. He just wasn't feeling well at all at dinner, and only ate half of his meal even though he said it was delicious (although much different than typical Spaghetti Carbonara because of the sausage). Stew has never not finished a meal in his life, so I was definitely concerned.

Sigh. We're really having a rough year. By the time we got home Stew was attacked by full-blown food poisoning. Not from his 13 Coins meal, it's important to point out, but from a questionably pink cheeseburger he had eaten earlier that day. Anyone who has ever had food poisoning won't have trouble imagining the horrible night he had. And I don't think it's likely he'll be eating his leftovers... they probably just don't seem the same now.

13 Coins is a little pricey, but very delicious and the portions are huge so I think we'd definitely go back and give it another try.

1 comment :

  1. I am also a big fan of Spaghetti Carbonara - you just can't go wrong with cheese, pasta, and bacon! Too bad he got sick - what a bummer!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me, Goose!