Thursday, December 27, 2012

Book Review: Assholes Finish First

My brother gave me this book for Christmas last year, and I was pretty excited to read it because I Hope They Serve Beer In Hell is pretty much the most hilarious book I have ever read. But unfortunately Tucker Max's second book, Assholes Finish First, didn't quite live up to my expectations.

If you're not familiar with Tucker Max, check out his web site, where he explains:

"My name is Tucker Max, and I am an asshole. I get excessively drunk at inappropriate times, disregard social norms, indulge every whim, ignore the consequences of my actions, mock idiots and posers, sleep with more women than is safe or reasonable, and just generally act like a raging dickhead."
The interesting thing about this jerk is that he's actually really intelligent and a pretty witty and entertaining writer, which is how he managed to become a famous blogger, author, and movie producer based simply on his tales of drunken debauchery and womanizing.

Even though I know I should be morally offended by this guy's mere existence on the planet, you can't take life too seriously and honestly I thought his first book was laugh-out-loud hilarious. And you can't really blame the idiots who get involved with Tucker... I mean, they made their choices so they can't really whine and complain about it later.

My problem with Assholes Finish First is that it just seemed like a lame continuation of IHTSBIH. It's like a collection of stories that weren't quite funny enough to make it into the first book, but Tucker wanted to squeeze just a few extra bucks out of his fame so he threw them into a second edition. But perhaps after reading his first book nothing can shock me anymore.

In any case, if you want to check out some of Tucker Max's writing, please start with the stories on his web site or in his first book. But once you've read that stuff you can probably skip Assholes Finish First.

2 comments :

  1. My husband LOVES his books...I almost get annoyed by how much he chuckles when reading this book!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHA! I loved this book and was SO sad when I finished it. Gotta love laugh out loud material!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me, Goose!