Sunday, October 14, 2012

Book Review: Gone Girl

I have been hearing about Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn for quite a while now, so I decided that our trip to Mexico would be the perfect opportunity to read it.

I was not disappointed... this is the best book I have read in a long time! I absolutely FLEW though it and could not wait to see what would happen next. It twists and turns until the very last page and I was actually super sad when I finished it because I wanted more! (Must find more books by this author immediately.)

Just a few pages into this novel I was already thinking, "Finally, one of those rare novels that's unique and totally engrossing, cleverly plotted so that each new development has me astounded and eager to find out what happens next." Flynn has a distinctive writing style that immediately had me totally absorbed in what was going on with her two main characters.

This book takes common marital concerns about money, in-laws, and parenthood, and turns them into toxic waste in the case of Nick and Amy Dunne. The story follows Midwestern husband Nick as he deals with his wife Amy's sudden disappearance, and some gradually revealed details begin to cast doubt on his own innocence in the matter. But as the story unfolds, the author unveils some major plot twists that cast Amy in an entirely new light. This book strings you along, and as the story progresses you are given just enough information to make you think you've figured things out before being hit with another revelation that changes everything. And Flynn saves the biggest "gotcha!" of all for the end. This book is twisted, disturbing, sometimes horrifying, but overall irresistible. Highly recommended.

2 comments :

  1. I just finished this book and literally could NOT put it down! I am doing it for our next book club!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm reading that right now! It is really good!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me, Goose!