Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Restaurant Review: Dick's Kitchen

Our Friday night out in Portland was pretty casual, and instead of doing research and making a dinner reservation somewhere Stew, Brooke and I decided to just wander down 21st Avenue in search of a yummy place to dine. The menu for Dick's Kitchen caught our eye because Brooke is a vegetarian and it had a whole section for "non-beef burgers." The restaurant had a casual, diner-like atmosphere and it wasn't too crowded, so we decided to give it a try.

Taking a closer look at the menu, I was really impressed. Dick's is one of the few establishments to serve 100% grass-fed, humanely raised and pastured beef. "Animals that have been raised on the food they evolved to eat are much healthier and happier than the average feedlot-fed cow, which along with our tendency to use as little salt as possible, accounts for the delightful flavor profile you are about to enjoy!" Burgers are also served on a dairy-free house-made potato bun and you can add "not-fries" for $3.00 (baked, not fried).

I asked for a mojito but the bar didn't have mint, so instead
our server suggested this drink... and I've totally forgotten the name!
But it was super delicious, similar to a mojito but made with
house-brewed ginger ale and vodka. It had a spicy kick which
Stew and I really liked, but Brooke wasn't a super big fan...

I got the French Onion "Zizou" Burger, the classic Dick's Kitchen burger
with thinly sliced onions "smashed" into the patty, topped with melted
Swiss cheese. I also got yam "not-fries" with
vegan chipotle aioli on the side.

Brooke decided to try the vegan BBQ Tempeh "Burger," a marinated
and grilled Surata organic tempeh patty topped with house-made BBQ
sauce with "not-fries" and vegan house-made ketchup.

Stew also got the French Onion "Zizou" Burger, but he ordered it
without veggies or sauce and added bacon. A side of "not-fries"
and vegan house-made ketchup rounded out his order.

Everything came with pickles and coleslaw on the side which was super yummy. I thought my burger was extremely delicious and it really did taste yummier than a regular burger. All Dick's burgers are also seared to perfection in cast-iron skillets, which probably also made a big difference in the taste.

I tried a bite of Brooke's burger and it was pretty yummy... the patty kind of tasted like a veggie burger that had been soaked in barbecue sauce. Tempeh is a traditional soy product originally from Indonesia, and it is made by a natural culturing and controlled fermentation process that binds soybeans into a cake form, similar to a very firm vegetarian burger patty. I suppose if I continue forward with vegetarianism, this is what I can look forward to in the future... and it wasn't half bad!

Stew really liked his burger, too, but he thought it was kind of silly that we had to pay 50 cents each for the house-made sauces... which the server neglected to tell us until after it was too late (and there was already a regular ketchup bottle on the table). But overall we really liked Dick's Kitchen and we'd probably go there again if we were in the area.

7 comments :

  1. Mmm, those fries look delicious! Portland is a fun city!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The BBQ tempeh sounds so good!! Are you back to eating meat?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't stopped eating meat yet, I'm just limiting it... I feel like I need to finish doing research first to make sure I don't end up with any nutritional deficiencies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sure you have tons of reading to do but The Kind Diet was the book that won me over!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That burger looks amazing!! Mr. A would not have paid the extra 50 cents. He hates it when he has to pay extra for something so simple.

    http://www.glamkittenslitterbox.com/
    Twitter: @GlamKitten88

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks delicious! Bummer about the house-made ketchup charges. I hate when that information isn't explicit. So frustrating.

    ReplyDelete
  7. this is making me hungry! i'm so glad we got to do dinner and hang out!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me, Goose!