Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Book Review: The God Delusion

In The God Delusion, scientist and outspoken atheist Richard Dawkins presents an intense, passionate, but humorous rebuttal of religious belief.

Dawkins brilliantly and articulately examines and destroys the arguments for religion and demonstrates the extreme improbability of the existence of a supreme being. He makes a compelling case that faith is not just irrational, but potentially deadly.

I'm not going to get into a religious debate here, but I did think that The God Delusion was extremely fascinating, and it stimulates thinking every step of the way. It really caused me to think about my own belief system and the role religion plays in the modern world. There are some parts of the books that get a little but text-booky, but overall I found myself completely engrossed by this brave and important book, and I think it's something that everyone should experience. Read it with an open mind. It will challenge you to examine your beliefs, no matter what beliefs you hold.

(Also, I have to admit that reading The God Delusion right after finishing A Thousand Lives probably had an influence on my opinions!)

1 comment :

  1. Haven't read it - but sounds like a good read! It is amazing how much Judeo/Christian religion is entrenched in our society.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me, Goose!