Friday, June 1, 2012

Restaurant Review: Skillet Diner

My boss has been raving about Skillet Diner on Capitol Hill for months now, so we decided to try it this morning for a team birthday breakfast. The diner originated from Skillet Street Food, which chef Josh Henderson prepared and served out of a vitage Airstream trailer. The food is American-style made from seasonal ingredients.

The atmosphere inside the diner is very casual, not suprising since the words "super dope" are used on the Skillet web site. When I looked at the menu I loved the fancy twist on comfort food and really had a hard time deciding, but I eventually got to sample several items. Wow. Absolutely delicious.

Mason jar water glasses and mismatched silverware.

Skillets hanging on the walls, go figure.

Casual breakfast bar but there are also regular seating areas.

"The Ultimate Grilled Cheese"
A classic done right with brie, cheddar and american cheeses
on brioche toast with bacon jam and poutine on the side.
This is one of the best dishes I have EVER eaten. We shared
it between our table and I wished I would have ordered the
whole thing for myself.

Chilaquiles
Tomatillo salsa, corn tortillas, pico de gallo, sour cream,
cilantro and two eggs over medium with avocado on the side.
This dish was delicious but a little too spicy for my taste.
I was only able to eat about a quarter of it and took the rest
home to Stew.

The simple quality of all the food I tasted plus the portion sizes, friendly server and casual atmosphere all made Skillet Diner someplace I would return to. I'd really like to try some items off the lunch and dinner menu. And if you are a bacon lover this place is worth visiting just for the bacon jam, which can be purchased by the jar. I don't even like bacon and I was drooling over it. The only negative comment I would make was that they were playing Tom Petty's "Runnin' Down A Dream" quite loud for 7:30 a.m. but that's really a personal preference I suppose. And of course the parking on Capitol Hill was atrocious as usual so give yourself extra time. But I'll definitely be taking Stew here in the near future.

Has anyone eaten Skillet Street Food from the truck?

2 comments :

  1. Looks delish! I'm going to have to try that place when I'm in town in a couple weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It actually has a lot of mixed reviews on Yelp but I thought it was amazing.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me, Goose!