Monday, June 18, 2012

Restaurant Review: The Sexton

When we were on Stew's birthday pub crawl, my friend Alissa and I noticed a ton of new bars and restaurants up and down Ballard Avenue that we wanted to try. So on Friday night we ventured out on a little walk to check things out.

We ended up at The Sexton for dinner because of the delicious sounding menu and casual patio we could glimpse out back. The Sexton features small plates of Southern Comfort food and lots of bourbon. The atmosphere is very casual and we sat at a picnic table underneath a tree with a bicycle in the branches while drinking out of mason jars. Definitely my kind of place. We weren't quite sure how big the portions would be, so to be on the safe side we decided to order one of almost everything on the menu. This turned out to be a great idea because we got to try almost everything and Stewart didn't go away hungry.

Hand written Southern Comfort food menu in the window.

Old black and white photos decorate the casual interior. 

I loved this mason jar light fixture.

Picnic table seating underneath a bicycle in a tree!

One of the famous Bourbon drinks.

And here are just a few of the yummy dishes we sampled... 

Chicken Pot Pie - $8.

Three Sliders - $7.
(house ground chuck, brioche, scratch made steak sauce)

Sexton Mac - $8.
(bacon roux, five cheese, arugula, balsamic redux)

Boneless Buttermilk Fried Chicken - $11.

Red Beans and Rice - $7.
(andouille sausage)

And a glass of Pinot Noir for me!

Everything was delicious and our server was incredibly nice and personable. She just brought the dishes out as they were ready which gave us time to enjoy the food and drinks and chat in between "courses." The portions were definitely on the small side so I would say order at least 4-5 items for a couple if you're planning on a whole meal. Otherwise The Sexton would be a great place for drinks and apps or happy hour before heading somewhere else for your main meal. We really liked it there and would definitely go back.

6 comments :

  1. I'm still so sad that Madame K's closed, but I guess if anything were to take its place, The Sexton is the way to go! Looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never went to Madame K's but I need to get out more. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I came across your blog via The New Black and love finding other Seattle bloggers! I just walked by here the other day on the way back from Bastille!

    ReplyDelete
  4. yum, looks good! and I love the mason jar light fixture too... very cool idea if only i was handy :)

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm going to the Sexton tonight - they have such great cocktails. If you go there again, you need to try the spicy one. Can't remember what it's called, but I'm sure the waitress will know. It's surprisingly good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will definitely have to try the spicy one!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me, Goose!