Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Restaurant Review: Cactus

Patty is spending the week in Seattle for some educational training classes, so last night we got together with her and her sister, Kathleen, for dinner. We decided on Cactus in South Lake Union because I wanted to try out the new location. I have been to both the Madison Park and Kirkland restaurants before and absolutely loved them! The food is incredible, the drinks are delicious, and the atmosphere is bright and fun. Last night was no exception...

Patty and Kathleen arrived early at 6 p.m. and got on the list (they don't take reservations except for parties of 6-8 people), so by the time Stew and I arrived a half hour later we were able to get seated right away. The server brought out chips and fresh salsa right away and I ordered a Mango Fruta Margarita to start, yum!


We also got the Blue Corn Calamari as an appetizer. It has crispy jalapeños, lime chimichurri and smoked Fresno aïoli. Super yummy but VERY spicy... for my first bite I accidentally ate a giant  jalapeño slice and had to guzzle almost my entire drink to put out the fire in my mouth.


I almost always order the Butternut Squash Enchiladas at Cactus (crisp white corn tortillas with Jack and goat cheeses, sautéed spinach, roasted butternut squash, caramelized onions, mole rojo, guacamole... heaven!) but this time I decided to try something new: Cactus Fajitas.

Grilled natural skirt steak served in a sizzling skillet with
Spanish rice, cumin black beans and caramelized onions.
Guacamole, sour cream, Jack cheese, lettuce,
pico de gallo and warm flour tortillas on the side.

My assembled fajita.
Patty ended up trying the enchiladas and she liked them a lot, and Stew loved his House Chimichchanga. Plus he also got to finish the second half of my skirt steak and we still took home a lot of rice and bean leftovers.

Our waitress was incredibly nice and she kept the chips, salsa, sodas, water, etc. filled the whole time we were there. She also gave us a personalized "menu tour" and didn't seem to mind taking our photo at all. We also didn't feel rushed to leave when we were done eating which is something I absolutely can't stand. I was definitely glad I chose Cactus for our dinner date and I'd go back again any time, I just love this place!

6 comments :

  1. I think that a nice waiter/waitress can make all the difference at a restaurant. So glad that you lucked out!

    http://www.glamkittenslitterbox.com/
    Twitter: @GlamKitten88

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've only ever been to the one on Alki, but love it! There is usually a long wait, but it's totally worth it in my book. With those pictures you've got me wanting to trek out there this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Cactus! Such a great spot to relax and enjoy a margarita. Plus they have a pretty decent HH as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I looooove Cactus! My favorite is the Madison Park location. I love spending the day at the beach then heading across the street for some margaritas and tasty food :-)

    The carne asada tacos are my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  5. omg, this food looks amazing! Since moving to Germany, I think about mexican food all.the.time. I don't even know if jalapenos exist in Germany, LOL!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me, Goose!