Thursday, May 3, 2012

Book Review: The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

My office book club has provided me with a few flops, but my track record has actually been pretty good lately, continuing with The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows. It had gotten fairly favorable reviews in the New York Times and one person in our group raved about it so I decided to give in a whirl. However, I've banned myself from Amazon.com for the time being as I have absolutely NO more room for even one more book on my shelves, so I actually went and got a library book!  I think the last time I took out a library book for something besides a school assignment was probably in middle school. So that was kind of an adventure. Man, my life is starting to sound really boring...

The novel consists of a series of letters between a witty British female author and the residents of Guernsey, in Channel Islands, shortly after WWII. She is inspired to write a novel based on their sad but sometimes amusing experiences during the occupation. After corresponding with the members of the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society for a few months she eventually travels to the island to meet them and learn more about their adventures. It took me a little while to get used to reading a book that consists entirely of letters, but soon enough I was completely engrossed in the story and couldn't wait to find out what was going to happen next. I did find some parts, particularly the ending, to be a little far fetched, but overall I loved this book and give it a very high recommendation. I think anyone would fall in love with these lovable characters just like I did.  

No comments :

Post a Comment

Talk to me, Goose!