Monday, September 5, 2011

Book Review: More Than You Know

When it comes to books, I have a serious problem. I can't stop buying them; it's like an addiction. I currently have about 10 unread books on my shelf, even though I've already read more than 20 this year. At the beginning of the year I had to cut myself off Amazon.com because I kept ordering five or six books at a time even though I already had more than enough to read at home. In the meantime I've acqcuired another 35 books on my Amazon.com Wish List, which I stare at every day, waiting for the moment I can order them and add them to my bookshelf. 

I have no idea when or where I got More Than You Know by Beth Gutcheon, which is probably why I put off reading it for so long. It was probably recommended by a friend and purchased in an Amazon.com free shipping book buying frenzy a few years ago, but I somehow never got around to opening it. But now days I've been determined to adhere to my new rule: No buying more books until you've read everything you already own! So recently More Than You Know came up in my reading "queue" and what do you know... I was very pleasantly surprised!

The novel takes place in a small town called Dundee on the coast of Maine. It's the story of an old woman named Hannah Gray who has decided to leave a record of the passionate and anguished long-ago summer in Dundee when she met Conary Crocker, the town bad boy and love of her life. The story covers two centuries and two intense love stories as Hannah and Conary's fate is interwoven with the tale of a marriage that took place in Dundee a hundred years earlier. It also involves an especially chilling and unexplained ghost story.

I thought the book was extremely well written and I really enjoyed reading it. I loved how the love story was entwined with the ghost story and I could completely picture the tiny town in Maine and all of it's characters. At only about 250 pages so it was a fun quick read, and I really wish I could remember who recommended this book to me so I could thank them!
 

No comments :

Post a Comment

Talk to me, Goose!