Monday, August 29, 2011

Restaurant Review: Thaiku

If you haven’t picked up on it by now, we love Thai food. And although we don’t go out to eat very often, we will usually grab dinner on our way home from a weekend trip. It’s just easier (and way more appealing) than tackling grocery shopping and cooking. So this Sunday afternoon when we got back from our camping trip, we unpacked and cleaned up a bit and then walked down to a Thai restaurant in Ballard we had yet to have tried out, Thaiku. When we arrived the hostess informed us that it was happy hour in the bar, so we proceeded to the back of the restaurant and up some stairs to a dimly lit lounge area. The ambiance and décor was really cool, and we were greeted immediately by a very friendly waitress.

The happy hour price for appetizers was $4 so we ordered one of our favorites, Giow Tawt, which is crab meat and cream cheese wrapped in won ton, deep-fried and served with plum sauce. It was absolutely delicious. For our entrée Stew said we had to stick with our usual in order to do a comparison, so up came chicken Pahd Thai (3 stars) and beef Pahd See Iew (2 stars). The restaurant has a five star scale so I figured that should be just about right. The food was absolutely delicious with lots of flavor but man was it HOT! I felt like each dish had at least 4 or 5 stars and although I was able to eat it, I went through about six glasses of water and my lips and tongue were numb by the end. Stewart, of course, was fine.

Giow Tawt
 
Pahd See Iew and Pahd Thai
I also ordered a Diet Coke, but had to send it back because it tasted strangely like vodka, which I was not in the mood for. However, the second one the waitress brought out tasted just the same, but I didn’t really feel like drinking spit so I didn’t send it back a second time. I guess this would have been a pro if I had been looking for a free drink?

The only con we could see was we thought the portion sizes were a little small compared to what we are used to. But for a grand total of $29.44 it was definitely a delicious meal and a great end to our weekend.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Talk to me, Goose!