Friday, January 6, 2017

Book Club: Bright Shiny Morning

What an amazing book!

I think that regardless of how you feel about the whole James Frey / A Million Little Pieces controversy, Frey is an absolutely brilliant story teller.

Bright Shiny Morning definitely lived up to my expectations, which were very high, especially after reading The Final Testament of the Holy Bible a couple years ago. 

My main take-away from Bright Shiny Morning was that I never, ever, ever want to live in or anywhere near Los Angeles, California. In fact, I think I want to avoid that entire state altogether... yuck. 

Set in L.A., the book follows the lives of several characters: a married celebrity couple, a young couple following their dreams from the Midwest, a Mexican-American maid, and a homeless man. It also includes mini-profiles of other minor characters, as well as intertwining historical facts and figures about the county of Los Angeles.

It was a total page turner.

I have always loved Frey's writing style, although I can see why it might get on some peoples nerves. In Bright Shiny Morning, all of the main stories were extremely well developed and showcased a vast variety of people, cultures, socioeconomic statuses, etc. I did sometimes find myself rushing anxiously through some of the "mini-profiles," because I was so anxious to get back to my favorite characters, but overall I thought all of the stories brought something to the table.

I can't think of a book that better describes a city, to the point that L.A. actually becomes its own character.

And Los Angeles is, in a word, hideous.

My only complaint would be that although some of the Trivia Facts / Historical Knowledge about Los Angeles were interesting and informative, I usually ended up skimming through those chapters and could have done without a lot of them.

I always love a novel that leaves me with strong feelings and opinions, and Bright Shiny Morning definitely did not disappoint. I'd rank it all the way up there with Frey's other novels, which I loved and highly recommend.

post signature

No comments :

Post a Comment

Talk to me, Goose!