Saturday, December 17, 2016

Book Club: Flowertown

Meh.

I think I impulse purchased this one (or it may have been free, I can't remember) and then randomly started reading it one night after I finished World Without End

In Flowertown, by S.G. Redling, an experimental pesticide spill kills scores of people in rural Iowa. Those who survived the contamination were herded into a medically maintained quarantine and cut off from the outside world. They are dosed with powerful drugs to combat the poison, causing their bodies to give off a sickly sweet smell, hence the containment zone's nickname: Flowertown. 

Seven years later, Flowertown's infrastructure is crumbling, supplies are dwindling, nobody is recovering. After a series of deadly events, the protagonist, Ellie Cauley, and her paranoid best friend suspect that something dangerous and possibly deadly is going on. She and other residents set out to expose a twisted plan of greed and abuse as time is running out.

This book is supposed to be a "high-intensity conspiracy thriller." Personally, I didn't find it to be particularly riveting. 

I typically enjoy most dystopian, post-apocalyptic novels, and this one seemed like it had a unique plot twist. But I had a hard time identifying with the characters, and overall I found the story to be confusing and depressing. Although it was a quick, easy, fast-paced read, I found the suspense and conspiracy theories either unrealistic or hard to follow, which left me with an overall feeling of, "Meh. Why did I even read this?" 

I wanted to like Flowertown, but the shallow characters, predictable plot twists, and the author's unimpressive writing style made it an overall disappointment.

Although I was vaguely entertained, considering all the other great literature out there, I wouldn't waste my time on this one if I were you... 

post signature

No comments :

Post a Comment

Talk to me, Goose!