Saturday, August 27, 2016

Book Club: The Game is Life Series

One of the few downfalls of my new job (and lack of commute) is that I don't really have any time to myself to read anymore. I used to spend more than two hours a day on the bus, which meant indulging in quiet time each morning with a book or a podcast

However, I have been sneaking in a tiny bit of reading... mainly on my Kindle iPhone app while I'm patiently waiting for Ryder to fall asleep at night. 

As if I don't have anything else to read (good grief, I've got an entire bookshelf full of unread books!), one day I impulse-downloaded Amazon's free sample of The Game, by Terry Schott. 

I was immediately hooked. 

I spent the next six months reading the first four books in the series whenever I had a free moment.

Not unlike other well-known science fiction stories (i.e. The Matrix), in The Game, Earth is a computer simulation. Although this topic isn't necessarily unique, I think the author did an absolutely excellent job of providing an entertaining and thought-provoking story filled with well-developed characters and interesting twists. I was engrossed from the very first page... I had to know what happened next!

The only downfall was that the book contained quite a few grammatical errors, which I found distracting and sometimes tough to get past.

And, unfortunately, there is a cliffhanger ending, which immediately made me realize why Schott offered this first book in the series for free on Amazon. Because clearly now I needed to immediately purchase Book 2 (Digital Heretic). Clever...

I dove into the rest of the series, and spent the spring and summer reading little tidbits of the subsequent installments on my phone or Kindle whenever I had time. Book 3 (Interlude - Brandon) was actually my favorite in the series, but Book 4 (Virtual Prophet) lost my interest a bit, and so I haven't actually started on Book 5 (Digital Evolution). And I think there may actually be a sixth book coming out sometime soon as well...

To sum up, these are fast-paced science fiction novels with a complex plot that easily and quickly sucks the reader in. I don't suggest reading them right before bed. If so, you may be up all night questioning the mysteries of the universe and your place in it...

post signature

No comments :

Post a Comment

Talk to me, Goose!