Thursday, November 5, 2015

Book Club: The Kill Order

Bummer.
 
That's two books in a row now that have basically sucked.
 
This one had promise. After all, I absolutely loved the Maze Runner Trilogy.
 
So I fully expected to love The Kill Order by James Dashner, which is a prequel to the trilogy. (The books are young adult dystopian science fiction novels, a genre that's obviously right up my alley).
 
The Kill Order is set 13 years before the events of the original novel, and it expands on the same world but does not focus on the same main characters. The story begins chronologically in New York City when the world is hit by solar flares. Mark and Trina form an alliance with Alec, Lana and some other survivors who flee to a high rise to avoid an impending tsunami. Most manage to survive until they are able to escape to a settlement in North Carolina.
 
One year later, the story picks back up in the small village as the survivors are attacked by huge, helicopter-like devices known as Bergs, from which crew members shoot darts that immediately kill many villagers and infect others with a strange virus. Mark and Alec manage to take over one of the Bergs and find the headquarters of the mysterious attackers.
 
From here the book just drags on and on through one over-the-top action scene to the next. Reading it was like watching the last ten minutes of a bad action movie over and over again. Mark and Alec are repeatedly attacked by countless people infected with the virus, but they manage to escape each time (only to have the only scenario repeat itself a few pages later). It really got to be monotonous.
 
In a nutshell, I wasn't entertained. The book didn't answer any questions about the series as a whole, I didn't really care about any of the characters, and the writing is mediocre at best. I never found myself wondering what was going to happen, or who was going to ultimately survive. I did enjoy Mark's flashbacks of the days immediately following the sun flares, but those were few and far between.
 
I'd say skip it. 
 
post signature

2 comments :

  1. Good to know. I read Maze Runner a bunch of years ago. It wasn't well known and the librarian recommended it to me. I didn't hate it and would have wondered about the series. I won't waste my time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read this one over the summer, and I ended up giving it 4 stars, but I think I was being generous. I probably should have settled at 3. It was really hard to get into, and it was certainly frustrating that they were being attacked every time they turned around. Like, maybe these characters should be making better choices. I do feel like the end set some things up for the series, and I suppose that's why I ended up giving it 4 stars. But I do agree, it's not a necessary read for the series.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me, Goose!