Wednesday, June 17, 2015

The Anatomy of a Grammar Nerd

I think I've mentioned before how I'm kind of a nerd.

I have a bachelor's degree in Journalism with a minor in English from WWU, where I worked as a copy editor for our campus newspaper and as managing editor of the school's quarterly magazine. Upon graduating, I worked as a reporter for two different newspapers before shifting career paths. But I'm still a "journa-nerd," and I devour books like it's going out of style.

Reading is my very favorite hobby.

I can probably still quote things out of the AP Stylebook, and I consult a dictionary or thesaurus on the daily.

I proofread every single thing I read — emails, blogs, Facebook status updates, billboards, office memos, text messages. As I read, I silently judge and mentally redline each and every word.

I am a huge Grammar Nerd.

So I found it amusing when I recently read about a new study profiling five million of my fellow Grammar Nerds.

I think at least some of you may find the results of this study as interesting as I did...  

Anatomy of a Grammar Nerd Infographic

I am a college-educated woman, but I'm older than the 18-24 year old range, I'm not single, and I don't work in the education, library, or healthcare fields. But I do live in an area that houses the largest percentage of Grammar Nerds in the country.

I hate the word "irregardless," but I love the proper use of a semi-color in modern writing. However, I can't tell you how much I loathe the Oxford comma. It just needs to die.

So maybe I'm not as much of a Grammar Nerd as I originally thought. How about you?

Do you fit the anatomy of a Grammar Nerd?

  post signature

2 comments :

  1. I don't think I'm an advanced user of grammar because I like to write in simple sentences, not compound with a semi-colon :). What is an Oxford comma??? Nevertheless, I can't stand bad grammar and people who don't capitalize the first letter of their sentences or people who blog and each paragraph is a single sentence.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for nerds!! Although I have to say, I do love the Oxford comma, so we are on opposite side with that one. haha!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me, Goose!