Friday, June 26, 2015

Book Club: Wild

I put off reading this book for a really long time.
 
I don't know why — it was amazing!
 
My book club read it at the end of 2013, when I was too bogged down with labor and delivery literature to focus on anything else. But for whatever reason, I kept it on my future reading list. I can't imagine why, because a book about wilderness backpacking is about the last thing I'd ever want to read.
 
However, when I recently saw the previews for Wild, starring Reese Witherspoon, I found myself really wanting to see the movie. I have a rule about always reading the book before seeing the movie, and I seemed to remember some fellow book club members singing the book's praises, so with slight trepidation I dusted off Wild and began.

I was hooked by the end of the very first page.

 Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail, is a memoir by Cheryl Strayed. When she was 22, her mother died unexpectedly after a short battle with cancer. Four years later, with her family scattered and her own marriage in ruins, Strayed made the impulsive decision to hike more than a thousand miles of the Pacific Crest Trail from the Mojave Desert through California and Oregon to Washington State. She set out totally alone, with no previous experience or training.

   Wild is the story of Strayed's incredible journey, through which she ultimately finds healing.

I thought this story was incredibly powerful and inspiring. Strayed is a brilliant author. I loved her voice, her brutal honesty, and the beautiful and engaging way she writes. Although I didn't always like her as a person, I appreciated her inner strength and perseverance. She kept going, alone, against what sometimes seemed like impossible odds.

The story shifts between Strayed's adventures on the Pacific Crest Trail and reflective stories from her past. Normally I get bored with books that are overly descriptive, but I actually loved the details Strayed provided about the trail and the people she met along the way.

Anyone who enjoys reading about hiking, nature, or self-discovery would probably enjoy this book. Typically, I don't seek out any of those genres, but I still loved Wild. Strayed is an amazing story teller with an incredibly unique voice. I enjoyed every single page of this book and was super disappointed when it was over.

Now I can't wait to see the movie!
 
post signature

3 comments :

  1. i watched the movie on the plane and was riveted! SO good. i bet you will really enjoy it! i have yet to read the book, and really need to carve out more time to read. love your recommendations and reviews!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooo... I'll definitely have to read the book before I watch the movie!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me, Goose!