Monday, May 4, 2015

Book Club: The Girl on the Train

Gosh, I have been reading some good books this year! Mostly thanks to my Aunt Elaine, who recommended this gem to me.
 
The Girl on the Train, by Paula Hawkins, is a psychological thriller that will forever change the way you look at other people's lives. It debuted at number one on the New York Times Fiction Best Sellers of 2015 list, and remained in the top position for 13 consecutive weeks. In my opinion it certainly earned its high standings.
 
The novel follows Rachel as she takes the same commuter train every morning. Each day she rattles down the track, flashing past a stretch of cozy suburban homes, and stops at a signal that allows her to watch the same couple enjoying breakfast on their deck. Staring at them each day, Rachel has even started to feel like she knows them. Their life seems perfect; not unlike the life she recently lost. And then she sees something shocking. It’s only a minute until the train moves on, but it’s enough. Now everything’s changed. Unable to keep it to herself, Rachel offers what she knows to the police, and becomes inextricably entwined in what happens next, as well as in the lives of everyone involved.
 
I think this is probably the most addicting book I've read since Gone Girl. It's about intersecting, overlapping, not-quite-what-they-seem lives. Jealousies, betrayals and wounded hearts. From the opening line, you get a sense of what you're in for: “She’s buried beneath a silver birch tree, down towards the old train tracks…” But Hawkins takes her time laying the groundwork of the mystery, and as I became sucked into the fascinating, dark, haunting plot I frustratingly tried to piece together what "really" happened. I loved every minute of it.
 
Hawkins is a brilliant story teller, and I can't recommend this book highly enough.
 
Definitely put it on your list of summer beach/travel reads.
 
post signature

1 comment :

  1. I can't wait to read this! I'm on the waiting list at the library.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me, Goose!