Saturday, January 18, 2014

Book Club: Shoe Addicts Anonymous

Sadly, I have been in a reading funk for quite a while now. I used to average about two or three books a month, but since getting knocked up and being bogged down by a terrible book for a while I've really been out of the groove. Anyway, I decided that after forcing my way through the last terrible literary experience I deserved a break with something fun, light and cheerful. Shoe Addicts Anonymous by Beth Harbison had been sitting on my shelf since last Christmas, so I decided to dust it off. Perfect...   
 
If you remember, I read it's companion, Secrets of a Shoe Addict, about a year ago and loved it for some easy chick lit. This was basically the same book with slightly different characters and a slightly different plot line. Such is the case with chick lit authors, typically. That's why they're so mindless and easy to read.
 
Four very different women are drawn into friendship by their shared love of fine footwear. I giggled at the humorous ups and downs of a debt-ridden waitress, senator's trophy wife, overweight phone-sex operator, and innocent young nanny as they met each week to trade Manolos and Maglis... but ultimately forged lifelong friendships. Cuteness...
 
Like the sequel, Shoe Addicts Anonymous is an easy page turner, and although there's nothing amazing about the author's writing style or the plot in general, it was nice to read a book I could just escape into for a while. Corny, cute and breezy like a pair of summer sandals. 
 
Now, after that little indulgence, I decided it was time to get serious. I don't think I'll have much time for reading once this baby arrives, so it's time to knock something off my list that's been sitting there for years: A Brief History of Time by Stephen Hawking. Wish me luck!
 
Any guesses as to how long it will take me to finish this one? 
 
post signature

3 comments :

  1. My name is Amanda, and I am a shoe addict.
    I say it'll be done by little man's 1st birthday. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds cute. I'll have to look for both of them. They sound a little like the Shopaholic books by Sophie Kinsella. Have you ever read those?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been in a reading funk too, I don't even know why. blargh!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me, Goose!