Thursday, September 26, 2013

Book Club: The Keeper of Lost Causes

Two of my co-workers stopped by my desk a while back to give me The Keeper of Lost Causes by Jussi Adler-Olsen and tell me I absolutely HAD to read it. Keep in mind, these are people who typically share my taste in books and have never steered me wrong when it comes to book recommendations.

But then I read the back:
Carl Mørck used to be one of Copenhagen’s best homicide detectives. Then a hail of bullets destroyed the lives of two fellow cops, and Carl—who didn’t draw his weapon—blames himself. So a promotion is the last thing he expects. But Department Q is a department of one, and Carl’s got only a stack of Copenhagen’s coldest cases for company. His colleagues snicker, but Carl may have the last laugh, because one file keeps nagging at him: a liberal politician vanished five years earlier and is presumed dead. But she isn’t dead … yet.
Um... what was this?  Detective/murder mystery novels are not something I typically read or enjoy, and this one sounded absolutely terrible. The main character seemed totally un-relatable, I hate anything even vaguely political, and did I mention that I never read crime novels? I was definitely questioning the sanity of my generally reliable co-workers/fellow book nerds. This was obviously some sort of mistake. So I threw the book on my nightstand for about a week, and occasionally gave it a skeptical glace over the pages of US Weekly.
 
Then, one rainy day after I had finally trudged through a mediocre baseball book and exhausted my supply of InStyle and Pottery Barn catalogs, I decided to take a glance at the first few pages.
 
It was at about this point that no one saw me or spoke to me for a couple days. I barely made it to work, and Stewart was not allowed to communicate with me in the evenings. Because I was totally engrossed in the.best.book.ever.
 
Seriously you guys, no wonder this series is fast becoming an international sensation!! Oh.em.gee. Plan on putting everything else in your life on hold if you pick up this book. The pages absolutely fly by as a twisted puzzle unfolds, and you are sucked into some of the most interesting and complex characters I've encountered in a long time. I seriously don't even want to tell you anything else because you should get to experience this book blind just like I did.

I promise, you won't be disappointed!

6 comments :

  1. Wow ! I can't wait to read this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds good - may give it a read!

    Molly xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fantastic, and it's also the beginning of a series, so I need to get my hands on the next one!

      Delete
  3. What kind of books do you normally read? I have never read anything other than westerns and romance. Haha i am so sheltered

    ReplyDelete
  4. What kind of books do you normally read? I have never read anything other than westerns and romance. Haha i am so sheltered

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm always looking for good new books and this one sounds fascinating. Adding it to my already long list.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me, Goose!