Saturday, August 31, 2013

Book Club: Wait Till Next Year

I've been reading like crazy this summer, but for some reason I'm always behind on the book reviews. I used to love doing them, but I guess I'm suffering from a bit of burn out.
 
Of course these posts tend to get a little less traffic and comments than others, but I figure there are a few people who enjoy them, right? ... Bueller??
 
Seriously, do these reviews just make my blog super dry and boring?
Go ahead, tell me, I can take it.
 
In the meantime, I read Wait Till Next Year by Doris Kearns Goodwin a while back for my office book club. When I first read the book description I'm sure I grimaced... it's a book about the 1950s and baseball, two topics that have never been at the top of my list of interesting subjects. But it actually turned out to be moderately entertaining!

In this memoir, Doris tells of growing up in the suburbs of New York. She loves her family and baseball most of all, she re-creates the postwar era when a corner store was a place to share stories and neighborhoods were equally divided between Dodger, Giant, and Yankee fans. We share in formative years until the end of an era, which is marked by significant changes in baseball, the death of her mother and ultimately, Doris's childhood.

I definitely found myself a little bit bored during the baseball bits of this book, but I was fascinated by how different life was in the 1950s, especially the McCarthy era and the beginning of desegregation. And anyone who is a baseball fan would definitely enjoy it.

2 comments :

  1. I like them! I don't read near as much as I used to but I'm always looking for new books and love looking up the plots online too haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like them too :) But I dont think this would be a book I would choose either - baseball is not my thing

    XOXO
    http://lovejennyxoxo.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me, Goose!