Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Book Club: The Final Testament of the Holy Bible

So I know there's been quite a bit of controversy about James Frey, but frankly it's never really bothered me, because I think he's an excellent writer, regardless. And his latest book, The Final Testament of the Holy Bible, was definitely no exception. I read the entire book during our car ride back from Priest Lake and was completely fascinated the entire time.

The Final Testament of the Holy Bible has been called Frey's most controversial book yet, and I can see why. Here's the gist of it:
What would you do if you discovered the Messiah were alive today? Living in New York. Sleeping with men. Impregnating young women. Euthanizing the dying, and healing the sick. Defying the government, and condemning the holy. What would you do if you met him? And he changed your life. Would you believe?
Sounds crazy and kind of scary, right? I think many people are terrified to confront questions regarding religion and faith, but personally this is something I try to do on a regular basis. The Final Testament of the Holy Bible is a book that has the potential to change you, hurt you, and scare you... but it also has the possibly to make you think and live differently.

This book is meant for open minded readers, and will probably offend anyone with strong, conservative religious beliefs. But although it may enrage and disturb a lot of people, for me it was just another thing to help open my eyes to the world in which we live. I am not a fan of organized religion, and this book addresses many of the reasons why. And although I don't agree with some parts of this book, the important thing is that reading about them made me think. And that's always a good thing.

(I also recently finished Lover Reborn by J.R. Ward, but I'm not going to waste an entire post on that one. Oh, Black Dagger Brotherhood, will you ever let me escape your evil clutches?!)

3 comments :

  1. I might have to add this to my list of books to check out from the Alway Library! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm all for being open-minded and reading things you normally wouldn't!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me, Goose!