Thursday, June 6, 2013

Book Club: A Child Called It

Ohmygosh, it has been so long since the last time I did a book review! But don't worry; I'm still up to my nerdish tendencies, and I'll take a moment to share with you here.

I don't actually recall how I first heard about A Child Called "It"  by Dave Pelzer, but it had been on my reading list for quite some time. This memoir chronicles the account of one of the most severe child abuse cases in California history. Pelzer tells his story of being brutally beaten and starved by his emotionally unstable, alcoholic mother who played tortuous, unpredictable games that almost killed him.

Personally, I can't really recommend this book. I realize that it's a memoir, but it was still poorly written in my opinion. I just didn't prefer Pelzer's writing style (it's supposed to be from a child's perspective, but to me it just seemed like an adult trying to ACT like a child), and I thought the story was really lacking in details, which made it less relatable (or even believable; there has been some controversy about the author's credibility).

Anyway, I think you can skip this one. My guess is that most people would either be upset by the subject matter, or irritated by the writing style like I was.

However, I do think it's important to note that I checked out this ebook from the library and read it on my Kindle... a first, for me! It took some trial and error, and cursing at the computer, but eventually I was able to make it work. I will conquer you yet, technology!

And I did read a couple other books as well that aren't really worth noting in individual posts:

  • Where the Heart Is by Billie Letts - I was three quarters of the way through this book before I realized I think I read it before, years ago. In any case, a fun, quick read.
  • Lover Unleashed by J.R. Ward - Yes, I'm still sucked into the Black Dagger Brotherhood series... this was book 9. I can't stop!

Do you have any good summer reads you can recommend?

7 comments :

  1. i remember this book when i was younger, i don't think i ever read the book but i definitely remembered the title for some reason it always made me sad when i heard the title

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok I actually love this book. I read it a very long time ago and have sense read it many many times. There are other books by him too and they are really good. Honestly, it's a hard read though. I just can't believe how horrible him mother was. And how even more horrible his father was for being in his right mind, knowing what was going on, and still leaving. It just breaks my heart. I think it would be really hard to read it now that I'm a mother and have a child. The things she did to him.. I just.. Can't. I don't get it. I don't know how someone can do that to anyone. It really really angered me and it still does but I am so happy that this man came out alive and on top. Anyway, I loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read this book about 13 years ago, I bought it in the airport at San Francisco and read it all the way home all I can remember is that at certain points I had tears streaming down my face.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, this definitely one I think I'll miss. I think the subject matter would really really disturb me.

    Have you read Room? It's fiction and really quite good - it's told from a child's point of view, but I found it really believable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, thanks for stopping my blog Pacific Northwest Seasons, and I love your photo tour of Port Townsend below! I recently read and loved The Orchardist by Amanda Coplin. Lovely novel set in the upper Wenatchee Valley/Peshashtin about 100 years ago. Sweet read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome, I love finding other PNW bloggers. I'll definitely have to check out The Orchardist, thanks for the recommendation! :-)

      Delete
  6. I read it years ago and cried for what seemed like hours. So sad, disturbing, and unforgettable. The writing may not be the best, but it really sent the message home.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me, Goose!