Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Book Review: The Distant Hours

This month's office book club pick was The Distant Hours by Kate Morton, and it earned a coveted spot on my "favorites" list.

Even though I've read some good books lately, it's been a while since I got caught up in one that was this engrossing. I literally couldn't put it down and found myself thinking about the story and characters all the time. I almost missed getting off the bus for work on several occasions, which has definitely made for a nice quick commute lately.

The Distant Hours starts with a letter that has been lost for half a century that is unexpectedly delivered to Edie's mother on a Sunday afternoon. The letter leads Edie to Milderhurst Castle where she meets three elderly, eccentric, spinster sisters and where, she discovers, here mother was billeted during World War II. Since that time the older twin sisters have been caring for their younger sister, who went mad after her finance jilted her in 1941. Inside the decaying castle Edie searches for her mother's past, but soon learns that there are many secrets hidden within its ancient walls.

This book was a perfect blend of mystery, suspense, and lost love. It also had complicated mother/daughter/sister relationships woven throughout that I found particularly intriguing. I borrowed this book from the library but it was so good I'm definitely going to buy myself a copy, and I also want to get my hands on Morton's previous book, The Forgotten Garden, as soon as I can. I hear it's also amazing.

Oh, how happy it makes me when I discover an amazing book like this! I'm really sad it's over; I would love to be able to experience it for the first time, again. Enjoy!

5 comments :

  1. being sad when a book ends is one of the most bittersweet things ever

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it when a book like this comes along! Although I hate it when it has to end as well. I'm adding this one to my list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard this is a good one! I'll have to pick it up. Thanks for the recommendation pretty girl! :)

    xoxo Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love to read a good book too. Best way to pass time. :)

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me, Goose!