Thursday, February 14, 2013

It's National Food Truck Date Day!

Hello lovers! Happy Valentine's Day National Food Truck Date Day! As I mentioned recently, my good friend Jeanna came up with this genius idea as a new theme for February 14th, and I was very excited to participate.

When Jeanna still lived in Seattle and we were single and fabulous, she and I used to get a group of people together every year on Valentine's Day to go bowling. No roses, chocolates, or giant stuffed animals allowed, just cheap beer, bowling, and perhaps a little drunken karaoke. I always really looked forward to it. But now Je lives in San Francisco, Sunset Bowl is no more, and I'm married / head-over-heels in love with my husband.

But Stew and I still aren't big on celebrating this commercialized holiday, so I thought instead a little food truck lunch date with my darling friend Amanda would be a lovely.

Before today I had only ever been to one food truck in Seattle, but I've seen them popping up all over the city and have been wanting to check out the Second and Pike food truck pod, which is right down the street from my office (Amanda conveniently also works close by). We had so much fun!

There were lots of trucks to choose from at Second and Pike.

Where to eat... where to eat...? Choices today included:
Beko Gourmet Dog Japon, Nomad Curbside, Off the Rez, and Hallava Falafel

We carefully perused all of the menus (everything looked so, so yummy) and ultimately went with Off the Rez
because I had heard amazing things about their frybread and this truck is rumored to be one of the best in Seattle.

The guy at the counter was super nice as we explained to him all about National Food Truck Date Day.

Amanda got an Indian taco with pork and a cup of smoky potato cheddar soup.
I went with a cheeseburger on fry bread, and it was basically one of the best things
I've ever eaten. Right up there with the best sandwich of my life.
(Epic healthy lifestyle fail, obviously. But so worth it!)

There wasn't anywhere to sit, so we brought our delicious lunches back across the street to Amanda's office to eat.

It was so fun to finally check out the food trucks in downtown Seattle, and it's definitely something I'd like to do more frequently! Plus Amanda was as adorable as ever (she even brought me a heart-shaped sucker, aw!) and I'm so glad she was my Valentine this year (sorry Stew).

I hope that each and every one of you has an absolutely amazing day filled with love and the people who mean the most to you. I personally just don't like the forced feeling that comes with Valentine's Day. I would much rather be surprised on some random, rainy Tuesday. (When we were first dating, Stewart once dropped off a Matt Hasselbeck jersey at the front desk of my office for me. I think that was the moment I knew I wanted to marry him).

PS - Today you can also find Stewart and I over at one of my favorite blogs, His Little Lady, where TJ has compiled a ton of gorgeous photos of people with the ones they love the most. It's very cute, take a look.
xoxo

4 comments :

  1. So cute! Your pics are fabulous - did you just take those with the iPhone camera?! I'm super jealous of that dang fry bread burger!! And that you got the hot Amanda J. as a date. :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! Yep, they're just from my iPhone, it has such a great camera it's all I ever use anymore. :-) Thanks for having us participate! Next time you're in Seattle you've got to try this food truck for one of your dates, it was so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So so fun! Nick and I are waiting for our take out to be ready!

    ReplyDelete
  4. yummmm! this post and your breakfast post made me so hungry! I love breakfast and I never get to go out for it, I was just watching Gilmore Girls today thinking about how it would be fun to be able to go out to breakfast!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me, Goose!