Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Queen Anne Cafe

I had to do a little math to figure this out, but I have been going to Queen Anne Cafe for breakfast for almost eight years... crazy! When I moved to Seattle in 2005 I had so much fun exploring my new neighborhood and all the quaint little shops, restaurants, and bars that were scattered across the hill. When I was single, 23, and living alone in a new city, weekend bar hopping quickly became my number one hobby, so discovering a fantastic hangover cure brunch location was imperative, and Queen Anne Cafe quickly became one of my favorites.

QA Cafe is a simple, unpretentious old school diner with giant portions of filling food and moderate prices. It's usually packed on Saturday and Sunday mornings, but it was never a big deal to wait out on the sidewalk and chit chat with other hungover 20-somethings.

Fast forward a few years and I can no longer identify with the hangover crowd, arriving around noon with their smeared makeup, ratty pulled back hair, and sweatpants tucked into their Uggs. Instead, I arrived on Sunday morning promptly at 10am to meet my friend Margaret for a belated birthday breakfast. I had gone to bed at a reasonable hour the night before after wrapping some Christmas presents and watching Miracle on 34th Street. I was showered, dressed, and fully made up for the day. I think this makes me a little bit pathetic grown up and responsible.

In any case...

Margaret and I realized that the last time we ate at QA Cafe was a full year before, also for my birthday. How I let this much time pass I have no idea, because I just love the delicious food and casual, friendly atmosphere here. Somehow we managed to get seated in a booth right away, and the waitress quickly brought out much-needed coffee (when you're old mature you need coffee right away, even if you haven't been drinking the night before).

Huevos Rancheros. Way too much food but super delicious!

We both enjoyed our super yummy breakfasts and had a great time catching up. I definitely want to head back to QA Cafe very soon for lunch, because I had also forgotten that they have some of the best Ranch dressing in the city... (my favorite food group!)
Thank you, Margaret, for a lovely morning!

2 comments :

  1. Yum! I haven't been there in years (probably since I lived on QA) but it is delicious! And it's so true about the Sunday morning hungover crowd - there and the 5 Spot! haha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the Queen Anne area, and all of that food is making me SO hungry!
    xo TJ

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me, Goose!