Saturday, December 15, 2012

Owen Meany's Christmas Pageant

I loved my first experience at Book-It Repertory Theatre a few months ago, so when my friend Jessica invited me to see Owen Meany's Christmas Pageant with her I agreed right away. A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving is one of my favorite books, and this show takes a small piece of the book and turns it into a full stage production where the quirky and memorable boy Owen Meany wreaks havoc on the annual Christ Church Christmas Pageant.

Most of the play dramatizes action from the fourth chapter of the novel, called "The Little Lord Jesus." It begins by quickly summarizing the background from the beginning of the book so that the relationships and characters are established, before quickly transitioning into Christmas-mode. This is what I was really looking forward to, since I've struggled to get into the holiday spirit this year.

Owen Meany is a tiny boy from a working class family with a "wrecked voice" who, in spite of many would-be handicaps, somehow manages to charm, manipulate, and even intimidate everyone he meets. After playing the Angel Gabriel for seven years in the Christ Church Christmas Pageant, this year he aggressively acquires a position of leadership and casts himself instead as the Baby Jesus. Hilarity ensues.

The production is light, fast-paced, and full of humor. I found myself laughing out loud several times at the characters who I knew so well from the book as they were brought dramatically to life. At first I wasn't sure how I would feel about someone other than a small child playing Owen Meany, but the casting was brilliant and I instantly fell in love with the characters all over again.

This is a short, heart-warming holiday show great for all ages, and it has definitely made it's way onto my must-see holiday show list.

Me and Jessica with Owen.

3 comments :

  1. Is that a real person in the picture? He looks fake but I can't really tell!

    ReplyDelete
  2. He is cardboard but doesn't he look real?! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. He does look real but I couldn't figure out how he has a halo...

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me, Goose!