Thursday, December 20, 2012

Oliver's Twist

Last night I got together with one of my oldest and dearest friends, Jeanna. She is in town from San Francisco for the holidays and invited me to have dinner with her at Oliver's Twist on Phinney Ridge.

We arrived at 7:30 p.m. and easily snagged a high top table in the bar. I absolutely love the low lighting and funky decor here, and we were immediately greeted by a friendly waitress. Oliver's Twist is a tapas bar so they have a pretty limited menu with only one page of food and about five pages of alcohol. We ordered some wine and a few small plates to share.


The blue cheese-bacon stuffed dates with marcona almonds and warm tomato
vinaigrette were very yummy, as well as the duck fat roasted fingerling potatoes
with aioli, but the pulled pork sloppy joe sliders were pretty disappointing. The
flavor was just blah and ketchupy, and the sauce had totally soaked through the
bun turning it into a gooey, falling apart mess. We didn't finish them.

At $8 per appetizer and about the same for a glass of wine, it didn't take us long to rack up a bill of almost $100 (including tip)... pretty steep for me considering I didn't even get a whole meal. But even though I think Oliver's Twist is kind of overpriced, the atmosphere and service are great, and it's a perfect place to meet a friend for a quiet, mid-week catch up session. Also, don't forget to check out the amazing decor in the ladies room!

Jeanna and I met freshman year of college and became super close when we were both heavily involved in the journalism program at WWU. After graduation we both moved to Seattle and spent the next few years joined at the hip running around the city together. We were roommates when she introduced me to Stewart in 2007, and I think we all know the result of that situation.

Unlike me, Jeanna is actually putting her writing skills to good use. I had so much fun last night hearing more details about her amazing project, 50 Food Truck Dates. Please check it out if you haven't already. Jeanna is eating her way through San Francisco and beyond by going on 50 blind dates over the course of a year to popular food trucks, and telling the world all about it. It think this is one of the most amazing ideas I've ever heard of, and I love following along on her adventures... check it out!

I left the evening reflecting on our friendship and thinking about how lucky I am to have a few true and amazing friends in my life, like Jeanna, who really know me inside and out. These are the types of friends who you may not get to see every day, but when you do get the opportunity to get together it's like no time has passed at all. I feel so lucky to have people like this in my life.


They say nothing lasts forever;
dreams change, trends come and go,
but friendships never go out of style.
~ Carrie Bradshaw

3 comments :

  1. I love that idea of 50 blind dates to food trucks! Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're too sweet. :) I feel the same way about our friendship. Glad we could rekindle it! Thanks for pimping out 50 Food Truck Dates! Love yah!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I live right down the street from Oliver's Twist. Next time, you should go during happy hour for a bit of a discount. Also, you must try the grilled cheese and tomato cappuccino. As a frequent customer, that's by far their best food item!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me, Goose!