Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Fairy Tale Dreams

After seeing Aladdin last summer at the Fifth Avenue Theater, Stewart and I actually became subscribers and purchased a four-show package. Last night was our first one: Cinderella, and it was simply magical with (of course) a fairy tale ending.

We did some Christmas shopping and had dinner downtown before the show, and it was a fun little date night for us - something we rarely have time for. When we arrived at the theater it was filled with holiday cheer and tons of little girls wearing plastic tiaras and carrying magic wands... adorable.

This time the show wasn't based off the Disney movie, but instead it was adapted from Rodgers & Hammerstein's musical that was written for television in 1957. Although I adore the Disney version, my mom loved the Rodgers and Hammerstein movie, and we used to watch it with her when I was little, so I know all the songs: "The Prince is Giving a Ball," "In My Own Little Corner," and "Impossible" just to name a few. It was hard not to sing along!

Almost every culture in the world has its own version of Cinderella, which has such an enchanting message: When the shoe fits, the unlikeliest of girls becomes a princess, and dreams really do come true. I never get tired of hearing it, because what girl doesn't want to be rescued from her life in order to fulfill her true destiny as a princess? (I'm still waiting for you, Prince Harry...)

We are so glad that we decided to purchase the ticket package and I can't wait until our next show! (Also, if you're into theater at all the Fifth Avenue is having a holiday sale: three shows for $99 with orchestra seating.)

1 comment :

  1. so fun! i love the story of cinderella, but what girl doesn't? can't wait to hear about the next one you go to!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me, Goose!